Unveiled in 1963 it commemorates Peter Barnes, Banagher and James McCormack, Mullingar both members of the Irish Republican Army. In a controversial trial they were accused of being involved in the deaths of five people in an explosion in Coventry in 1939. They were convicted and subsequently hanged in Winson Green Prison, Birmingham in February
This 5-sided structure known locally as The Sal (Salt) Battery is located 400 yards out Crank Road. It too was upgraded from an earthworks structure to include a moat with cut-stone walls, a drawbridge, ammunition store, guard house and platforms for four guns on revolving tracks.
Crank House, situated on the corner of Main Street and Crank Road, affectionately referred to as ‘‘the Crank’’, has a long and varied history in the town. Very little is known of its origins, except that it probably dates from the 18th century and very likely consisted originally of two town houses. Its bow shaped
The four sculptures – three similar ones by the same renowned sculptor Cliodhna Cussen stand in Library Square – were completed in 1999. The sculptures feature the people and animals that use the river. The theme of the creations is a celebration of the River Shannon
St. Rynagh (Regnacía) was a sister of St. Finnian of Clonard. From Clonard she moved to Clonmacnoise and later to Banagher to become Abbess in the 6th century of a religious house probably located on this site. The surviving structure dates from the 17th century. St. Rynagh’s Church was built in 1825/26. The belfry and
This castle was originally built in the 1650’s and was greatly enlarged about 1805. Note the large and more regular stones in the upper walls. One can take a pleasant circular walk around the park which incorporates the castle, pitch and putt course and clubhouse, swimming pool, the original Canal House and the disused Canal
Accompanied by their founder Abbe Jean-Baptiste Debrabant (1801-1880), Mother Anatolie Badger and three other L.S.U. Sisters arrived in Banagher in July 1863 to set up the first school of the Order in Ireland. For the next 144 years (until 2007), the order provided unbroken service in the field of education to this community. In 2007
Cuba Court, now demolished, was built around 1730 for George Fraser former Governor of Cuba. The 1629 Charter of Charles I gave Banagher a Royal Free School which was located here in the 19th century. Arthur Bell Nicholls grew up in Cuba Court while his uncle Rev. Alan Bell was Headmaster (1821-1839). Bell Nicholls was
The 7 arched bridge was completed between 1841 and 1843. It forms a county boundary line between Offaly and Galway and a provincial boundary line between Leinster and Connacht. A fragment of the earlier 1685 bridge is still visible between Cromwell’s castle and the 7th arch.