St. Rynagh’s Roman Catholic church is located in the Catholic parish of Gallen and Rynagh situated in the County Offaly Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise. The church is named for St. Rynagh who was a sister of St. Finnian of Clonard. She moved from Clonard to Clonmacnoise and later to Banagher in order to become Abbess in the 6th century of a religious house.
This detached T plan Roman Catholic church was built in 1825 by Father John Kenny, a design which is typical of early nineteenth-century ecclesiastical architecture. A three-stage broach tower and spire which were designed by William Hague being added to the west of the building in 1872. St. Rynagh’s Church was built in 1825/26. The belfry and spire were added in 1872. Michael Tierney, conservation architect, planned the reordering of the church in 2013. The stencilling and gilding are the work of Andy Regan while the tabernacle was created by Granada Studio, Spain. Michael Boylan, Cabinet Maker, Banagher, created the moulded panelling, cladded beams and mahogany door-liners. The marble and stone work is by Padraig Curley also from Banagher. The altar, tabernacle pillar, ambo and baptismal font in Dublin granite were sculpted by Míchael Ryan. The Stations of the Cross (1959) are by Sligo artist, Bernard McDonagh. The Madonna and Child (1974) was carved by Imogen Stuart and donated by local lady Nan Egan, Garbally. The Adoration Window, installed in 2013, had been in the old convent chapel since 1904.